Monday, May 4, 2020

Inside Out & Back Again by Thanhha Lai


Goodreads synopsis: For all the ten years of her life, Hà has only known Saigon: the thrills of its markets, the joy of its traditions, and the warmth of her friends close by. But now the Vietnam War has reached her home. Hà and her family are forced to flee as Saigon falls, and they board a ship headed toward hope. In America, Hà discovers the foreign world of Alabama: the coldness of its strangers, the dullness of its food . . . and the strength of her very own family.

My rating: 4 stars.

Content warnings: G. A small chick dies and a child is bullied.

Thoughts: The fact that the novel is in verse made me nervous. But I really did enjoy it, it wasn't verse that called attention to itself other than the minimalism in the prose, which appeals to my description skipping heart.

Hà's papaya tree wrecked me. I expected this book would make me emotional over something, but I didn't expect it to be a little backyard tree.

I love how developed the characters all were, despite how short the story really was. And somehow it managed to find the perfect balance in pacing, and the details that were given helped move it forward, not slow it down. It was quick to read, but definitely leaves an impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment