Saturday, May 9, 2020

Rediscover Jesus by Matthew Kelly


Goodreads synopsis: How well do you know Jesus? I think about this often, and I always come to the same realization. I don’t know Jesus anywhere near as well as I would like to know him. The desire is there, but life gets in the way. There are times when I seem to be making great progress, and other times when I wonder if I know him at all. But I always arrive back at the same inspiring and haunting idea: If there is one person that we should each get to know in a deeply personal way, it is Jesus – the carpenter from Nazareth, the itinerant preacher, the Son of God, the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords, the Lamb of God, the new Adam, the Messiah, the Alpha and the Omega, the Chosen One, the Light of the World, the God-Man who wants good things for us more than we want them for ourselves, the healer of our souls.

My rating: 3 stars.

Content warnings: G. Nothing.

My thoughts: Overall it was probably a good book for someone who doesn't know what their faith means anymore, or who has gotten so lost in the "Christian culture" that they don't know who Jesus is. For me there wasn't very much that was helpful or that I needed to hear (there are always some small things to be gleaned in any grounded book about faith), but I can see the value in most of what was said anyway.

With that there were a few chapters that made me uncomfortable. One was worded oddly and I think the message came from a good place, but the way it was presented made it sound wrong. Another I don't think I agree with at all. That one too could have been a misunderstanding between how the material was written and how it came across, but I have some doubts.

Beyond those couple of chapters I think it was a decent book and a good jumping off point for someone trying to deepen their spiritual journey. It doesn't take long to read, and it definitely encourages thought and action, which are both important too.

No comments:

Post a Comment