Thursday, May 7, 2020

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson


Goodreads synopsis: Jess Aarons' greatest ambition is to be the fastest runner in his grade. He's been practicing all summer and can't wait to see his classmates' faces when he beats them all. But on the first day of school, a new girl boldly crosses over to the boys' side and outruns everyone.

That's not a very promising beginning for a friendship, but Jess and Leslie Burke become inseparable. Together they create Terabithia, a magical kingdom in the woods where the two of them reign as king and queen, and their imaginations set the only limits.

Rating: 3 stars.

Content warnings: PG. Several d---s, use of hell as a curse word, bullying, implied abusive parent of a minor character.

Thoughts: Just coming off of Kira-Kira it's easy to compare what that one did better. Part of it might have been my expectations. I remember being really young and hearing someone I knew go on and on about how good Bridge was, so I could have been expecting more. Either way, I was expecting more Terabithia to the story than what there was. The "show don't tell" idea in writing really didn't come through here at all, and that was what really hurt it I think. We didn't get to see the kids playing in Terabithia as much as we were just told they did it a lot. And Terabithia was why I was here in the first place.

All that being said it wasn't bad. Minus the creepy relationship Jess had with one of his teachers. Between that and Jacob Have I Loved, part of me kinda hopes Paterson never actually had close contact with children. Maybe I'm reading too much into that, but it does trouble me a bit.

But back to the point, it was enjoyable. I don't understand why it won anything, it didn't stand out to me that much. And I wish we did have more of the after Leslie versus one summarized chapter. It was worth reading though.

No comments:

Post a Comment