Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Fairest by Marissa Meyer


Goodreads synopsis: In this stunning bridge book between Cress and Winter in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles, Queen Levana’s story is finally told.

Mirror, mirror on the wall,
Who is the fairest of them all?

Fans of the Lunar Chronicles know Queen Levana as a ruler who uses her “glamour” to gain power. But long before she crossed paths with Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress, Levana lived a very different story – a story that has never been told . . . until now.

Marissa Meyer spins yet another unforgettable tale about love and war, deceit and death. This extraordinary book includes full-color art and an excerpt from Winter, the next book in the Lunar Chronicles series.

My rating: 2 stars.

Content warnings: PG-13. Brief mention of nudity, dialogue about lovers, implied sex, and brief scenes of violence.

Thoughts: I thought I'd appreciate this story. I really did. But I was just so, so bored the whole time I couldn't make myself like anything about it.

If there had been any new information in the story, I think it could have held some more interest for me. But all it was seemed to be drawn out scenes of information we already knew from the other books, and some fan service by mentioning almost every main character from the main series, but they were babies here.

Levana wasn't even very clever, or even honestly that evil. I kept expecting to watch her descend into madness or something, but she was entirely bland, and it felt like she only did the things she did because the plot demanded it, not because she was very well developed or expounded on as a character with real personality. Which is disappointing, based on how well Meyer wrote Winter.

I can see why people may enjoy it, and I can understand why people hate it. But for me, it was just so boring and uninteresting it wasn't worth my time or energy to put forth an opinion either way, and I just settled on "meh." 

No comments:

Post a Comment