Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer


Goodreads synopsis: Twelve-year-old Artemis Fowl is a millionaire, a genius, and above all, a criminal mastermind. But even Artemis doesn't know what he's taken on when he kidnaps a fairy, Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon Unit. These aren't the fairies of bedtime stories—they're dangerous! Full of unexpected twists and turns, Artemis Fowl is a riveting, magical adventure.

My rating: 3 stars.

Content warnings: PG. Fantasy swearing, some bloodless fantasy violence, references to alcohol use and drugs to knock someone out.

Thoughts: I think the story is probably pretty fun, and it's an interesting world with some characters who could be developed into pretty neat people, probably as the series progresses.

But the narration made me want to give up so many times. A personal pet peeve of mine is when narration talks down to the reader, like when things such as "and little did he know that this thing was never going to happen again" are said. I'm not an idiot. I'll be able to realize that for myself. You don't need to tell me. And it's not a factor of it being for a younger audience. I've hated that narration technique for as long as I can remember and its always made me roll my eyes.

And in this book, the narration like that is rather constant. There would be times without it, but the narration would take that tone more often than not and that really drew my enjoyment away from the rest of the story.

I have heard that the narration gets better in the next books, and I may be curious enough to read them at some point. The story is fun, and seems like there's a lot of cool stuff that can be done with it, as long as the narration does improve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment