Monday, June 29, 2020

City of Night by Dean Koontz and Ed Gorman


Goodreads synopsis: They are stronger, heal better, and think faster than any humans ever created–and they must be destroyed. But not even Victor Helios–once Frankenstein–can stop the engineered killers he’s set loose on a reign of terror through modern-day New Orleans. Now the only hope rests in a one-time “monster” and his all-too-human partners, Detectives Carson O’Connor and Michael Maddison. Deucalion’s centuries-old history began as Victor’s first and failed attempt to build the perfect human–and it is fated to end in the ultimate confrontation between a damned creature and his mad creator. But first Deucalion must destroy a monstrosity not even Victor’s malignant mind could have imagined–an indestructible entity that steps out of humankind’s collective nightmare with one purpose: to replace us.

My rating: 4 stars.

Content warnings: R. Violence and sexual references (sometimes as the same thing).

(major spoilers below)

Thoughts: Really, my only complaint is Randal Six. I don't understand why they killed him, or what that did for the story. The authors. I understand why the characters killed him. I'm just not sure why the authors escalated the situation to that point to kill Randal Six in the first place. Seriously wound, sure. Kill? The chapters of two books that were spent following him just feel pointless now, since there was no reason to include his story in the first place. I can hope maybe it'll make more sense in the next books, but I'm not sure it will. I guess we'll find out.

One thing I really appreciate about these books is how well the authors do the creepy/scary story, without relying on excessive gore and shock value for things. There is violence, and there is gore, but it's used with purpose, and never feels gratuitous. And I respect that a lot.

This book felt a little less packed than the first one. I think the action only took place over a day, maybe two, so even though it was 80 chapters, it was a very fast read, and it feels like not a whole lot actually happened between the beginning and the end. Which gives me hope that the series as a whole isn't going to drag, but makes me wonder if the individual books aren't drawn out a little more than necessary for "run time."

Either way, it's a fast read, and still definitely worth it. The ending on its own is a little less satisfying, and I'll probably read the third book sooner than I did between the first and second books, but I'm still really invested in the world and the story (even though my favorite POV is gone now), and I still want to see where this all goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment