Sunday, January 31, 2021

The Two Towers by J. R. R. Tolkien

 



Goodreads synopsis: The Fellowship was scattered. Some were bracing hopelessly for war against the ancient evil of Sauron. Some were contending with the treachery of the wizard Saruman. Only Frodo and Sam were left to take the accursed Ring of Power to be destroyed in Mordor–the dark Kingdom where Sauron was supreme. Their guide was Gollum, deceitful and lust-filled, slave to the corruption of the Ring. Thus continues the magnificent, bestselling tale of adventure begun in The Fellowship of the Ring, which reaches its soul-stirring climax in The Return of the King.

My rating: 4 stars.

Content warnings: PG-13. Fantasy violence throughout.

Thoughts: I didn't notice in the first book, but I noticed here how terrible Tolkien is at dialogue tags. Every line it's "he said" "he said" "he said" and that gets old after a while. But it also got amusing and I started ignoring them entirely after a while. Which might have been a detriment, but I'm pretty sure I always knew who was talking. Other than that it's another fun fantasy story that picks up right where the first left off. It is kind of obvious that it was written as one book, because the beginning of this book and the end of it aren't really good story containers, but it makes sense knowing that's just how Tolkien wrote it, and it was the publisher who cut it up. And the description of Shelob makes me sad, but I much prefer depictions of spiders like Charlotte in my books. That's just personal though. I had a lot of fun reading this one, and I'm looking forward to the conclusion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment