Thursday, June 10, 2021

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

 



Goodreads synopsis: Having spent twenty-seven years behind the glass walls of his enclosure in a shopping mall, Ivan has grown accustomed to humans watching him. He hardly ever thinks about his life in the jungle. Instead, Ivan occupies himself with television, his friends Stella and Bob, and painting. But when he meets Ruby, a baby elephant taken from the wild, he is forced to see their home, and his art, through new eyes.

In the tradition of timeless stories like Charlotte's Web and Stuart Little, Katherine Applegate blends humor and poignancy to create an unforgettable story of friendship, art, and hope.

My rating: 2 stars.

Content warnings: Some poop jokes.

Thoughts: I honestly didn't expect to really like this book, but I didn't expect it to be this disappointing. For as thick as the book was, there was maybe 10 pages of actual story. To add to that, I couldn't stop thinking about Charlotte's Web the whole time (before I saw that in the synopsis), and the entire story felt like a retelling of that, much better story. Ivan was okay enough, but he's never going to be Charlotte, and I was just wishing I was reading that instead. If you like monkeys it might be nice, but otherwise, I'd suggest just reading Charlotte's Web instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment