Sunday, October 4, 2020

Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein

 


Goodreads synopsis: In one of Robert Heinlein's most controversial bestsellers, a recruit of the future goes through the toughest boot camp in the Universe--and into battle with the Terran Mobile Infantry against mankind's most frightening enemy.

My rating: 3 stars.

Content warnings: PG-13. Many characters die in battle, but not many in detailed or even very bloody ways. 

Thoughts: Maybe it was because I was reading this combined with several other really fantastic stories for a class, or that I had expected more out of the name "Heinlein," or both, but while interesting and a decently fun sci-fi romp, it wasn't generally super interesting to me. I found some of the action, or what little there was of that, hard to follow and understand. I didn't even realize part of the crucial plot's setting until hearing someone else discuss the book. The parts of the book not dedicated to philosophical discussion was actually more boring. Which I find interesting, because it's usually the opposite. But I will say that Heinlein did that part of this book very well, and I would probably reread this book in several years just for those parts. But the rest of it was solidly just okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment